Sunday, January 27, 2013

REVIEW: What I DIdn't Say by Keary Taylor

Title/Series: What I Didn't Say
Author: Keary Taylor
Publisher: Keary Taylor
Published: April 30th 2012
Format: eBook | Pages: 326 
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Purchased B&N

★★★★ (5/5) Stars!

Keary Taylor | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Getting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat. 

His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.


When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.




I really loved this book. When I read this I could relate growing up in this area, I understood the teenage outlook on how it is to grow up here. There really is that small town feel of everyone knowing you and your business.  Not to mention there not being much in the way for teenagers to do with their free time and I remember the bonfires and drinking with my friends.  Not to mention other crazy stuff.  Though at least back in my day, oh man I can't believe I used that phrase..., none of my friends or I were stupid enough to have gotten behind the wheel after partying.  Though of course it happens.  

There is such a realistic aspect to this book.  Which is one of the reasons I was drawn to it, along with the fact that the overview totally sucked me in.  I've become highly addicted to these kinds of books lately. The ones that have such a realistic setting and story line.  This book does not disappoint.

Jake is such an amazing character.  Here's this guy with a pretty good life for himself. Great family, good friends, football team, graduation just around the corner, pilot license and panning a future to fly in the Air Force.  And it takes just one night and one stupid drunken decision to take each one of these things and have them crash down all around him. The struggles he goes through after the accident are all so real as are his reactions to the situation. On top of everything that Jake is struggling with, Samantha has a huge set of burdens of her own to share. Yet somehow they seem to find the strength, to make it through, within each other.

I really can't say enough about this book it's become one of my top 10 favorite reads and I look forward to reading more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment