Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday #61


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

This week's topic is...


Top Ten Fairytale Retellings I've Read/Want To Read/Want To Be Retold

So I'm going to do a big mix up this week since there are only 4 retellings listed on my "read" bookshelf on Goodreads and I'm pretty sure if I sit here and try to think of any more I've probably already read it'll be hours of staring into space. So let's see what I can come up with here...





Awake (A Fairytale Trilogy #1) by Jessica Grey
I haven't seen very many, or any that I can think of off the top of my head to be honest, Sleeping Beauty retellings and I absolutely loved this one. It's the perfect blend of modern and fantasy world.



Atone (A Fairytale Trilogy #2) by Jessica Grey
Beauty and the Beast is probably one of the most popular and easily done retellings, the ones you find most often. This one just like the first book in this series puts a modern day setting and other tiny twists on the classic tale. I've really loved this series and can't wait to see what the final book brings!



Beauty and the Wolf (The Cursed Princes #1) by Marina Myles
I love me some good Historical Romances and this take on Beauty and the Beast is just a nice little slice of perfection.



A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales #1) by Eloisa James
Now it's been a few years since I read this one but I remember loving this HR Cinderella retelling. In typing up this post I realized that this was part of a series so I think I know what I'll be adding to my want to read section...





Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1) by Gena Showalter
I'm not sure how much retelling this is or if it's more like taking beloved characters and throwing them into a whole new experience. Regardless you take Alice from Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass and throw in zombies and all I can say is yes please. 



A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) by Sarah J. Maas
Yeah I'm late to the party on this one. I have it...I just haven't been able to pick it up yet. But Beauty and the Beast AND faerie lore...excited!



A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston
I don't think I've ever picked up a One Thousand and One Nights/Scheherazade retelling before but I am highly intrigued by this one!



The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales #4) by Eloisa James
Oh, oh, oh! The Ugly Ducking HR? YES! I WANT THIS!!!



Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales #5) by Eloisa James
Yeah I am all about Rapunzel. I'd love to see what Eloisa James does with this story!





RAPUNZEL!!

Alright so I know that there are plenty of Rapunzel retellings out there. Some good, some terribad. But what I really, really want is someone to come out with a brilliant MODERN DAY retelling. It's all to easy to throw this tale into a Historical Romance. It fits there. Princess locked away in a castle blah, blah, blah. But I want a really creative modern day, city girl type of Rapunzel. Lock her up in some New York high rise instead of a castle tower. I don't know. Whatever. If there's something out there I've never come across LINK ME BABY! 

 photo Gimmie01_zpsjvbofycm.gif


I absolutely love a really good fairy tale retelling. It's so fun to see people put a new twist on an old classic. Sure most of the Beauty and the Beast retellings are paranormal shifter/werewolf ones and we could use some fresh new takes. Regardless this is a really fun genre to read from. Be they modern or historical. What books did you come up with for this week's topic? Leave me the link to your posts so I can come discover some new books! And I was serious about the Rapunzel thing! If you know one set in modern times leave me titles or links or something! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment