Monday, March 16, 2015

REVIEW: The Indigo Spell (Bloodlines #3) by Richelle Mead

Title/Series: The Indigo Spell | Bloodlines #3
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Published: February 12th 2013
Format: Paperback | Pages: 401
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Romance
Source: Amazon
★★★★★ (5/5) Stars!!!

Richelle Mead | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets--and human lives.

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.



Every time I get to the end of one of these books, so far at least, I'm left sitting here thanking the book gods that I waited to have each one in my hand so that I could do a binge read. I mean, they aren't huge cliffhangers but it's just enough to where I know that the waiting would have driven me crazy. I'm becoming obsessed and if I'm not sleeping or eating my nose is stuck in which ever book I'm reading at the moment. Sometimes I even forget to do both of those! I'm hooked and I'm torn between wanting to be able to find a way to read them even faster and trying to slow down and just savor them.
"Don't look so panicked," Rose said, eyes shining. "It was nice seeing a human and a Moroi look like they belong together."
I had assumed before I finally started this series that everything would come down to all the Sydrian feels for me. Nothing else would matter and all I'd want was to get to that next moment, next kiss, next whatever. The reality has become that, while I do love those moments between Sydney and Adrian, I'm just as drawn in to everything else that's going on within the story, and there's a lot. With the VA books we had to deal with Moroi, Strigoi, dhampir and the Alchemists. With this series you have all of those things plus you add secrets and lies, magic and witches, an ancient society that goes back nearly as far as the Alchemists and rebellions and spies everywhere you turn. The excitement and danger seems to never end.
It brought back all my ingrained fears about the wrongness of magic.
The thing that I enjoyed the most with The Indigo Spell was how much it focused on the magical aspect of this world. I was fascinated by it. Obviously there's been magic throughout both of these series but the focus there has been on vampire magic. With the magic in this book we also get to explore the world of spells and witches. And of course Sydney's struggle with staying true to everything she's been taught to believe and the pull of the magic world. I'm really enjoying how it's all being handled and I especially like that it is a struggle with her. That everything is a struggle with her really. These are things her people have been drilled for centuries to believe in and if she were to have just rolled over and accepted everything easy I think I would've been bored.
"I'm done with the pouting," he said. "Done with being moody―well, I mean, I'm always a little moody. That's what Adrian Ivashkov's all about."
Adrian continues to blow me away every time he's on the page. He doesn't seem to do what I expect him to do anymore. I fell so hard for the Adrian of the past. The one full of vices and snark. The guy who attempted to live up to everyone's expectations of him, and by that I mean all the negative ones. There was just something about Adrian that I found completely irresistible. Yet here he is in Bloodlines flipping every thought and feeling I had for him upside down, in all the best ways and I can't believe he's the same guy and yet I'm also not surprised. I love seeing this side of him. The passionate, loyal, ambitious and reliable side. I mean he's shown signs of some of those things before but I love that now...he has a purpose.
But he made no demands on me, not like the Alchemists or Marcus. Even Jill and Angeline tended to preface their requests with, "You have to..."
Something that really didn't dawn on me until this book was the tremendous amount of pressure Sydney is under. I mean, I knew it was there coming at her from so many different angles, but I suppose that like a lot of the people in her life I just sort of took for granted that Sydney would just handle everything. In Indigo Spell it really hit me just how crazy it must be to be Sydney with all the conflict and issues with loyalty and people pulling at her from all sides. Making demands on her time and in some ways using her to their own advantage. I always found her affinity for order and rules and logic to be very endearing. After finishing this book though I almost see how with every direction she's being pulled in, with magic, loyalty, friendship, family and beliefs, that it's kind of a necessity to be able to compartmentalize everything to stay sane. I have so much more respect for her at this point.
I went upstairs, a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.
Though I should, in a small way, be excited with how this book ended, it actually filled me with quite a bit of dread. It's like every time we take a baby step forward in this book something jumps in front of us and we have to take a huge leap back. Everything was in such a blissful state right there in the end until the final events of the book threw cold water in my face and gave me a hard dose of reality. I'm both dreading and excited to start The Fiery Heart and see where this goes. I suppose this has been enough procrastinating now, so...

*Takes a deep breath...and jumps in*




No comments:

Post a Comment