Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday #55



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!

This week's topic is...

Top Ten Books From My Childhood/Teen Years I'd Love To Revisit

I'm mixing it up with both today. It's a mix of childhood, pre-teen and teen years books that I used to love back in the day. It's funny this topic came along because a couple of these I've been thinking about recently and started wondering what my now adult self would think about them. I may just revisit some of these one day!




I couldn't even begin to guess how many times I read this when I was younger. I was obsessed with this book and it's one of the ones that I plan on rereading as an adult to see what I think of it now. Plus, I mean, come on...it's Roald Dahl!




Anything V.C. Andrews
I obsessively read all of the early series by V.C. Andrews as a teenager. I couldn't get enough of them. The thing is that now as an adult I tend to wonder what in the heck I was thinking about them. I mean if you're not familiar with them they are very dark and twisted and I can't remember what each one of these series are about but I know at least two of them include incest, Flowers in the Attic and then if my memory serves me correctly in Heaven finding out that the girl he's been obsessing over is his half-sister doesn't stop the guy from crazy stalking her. I think he might have even assaulted her? It's been over 20 years so I'm a bit hazy. Just serious dark and twisted. I really am curious as to how I'd feel about them as an adult though.




Anything by Shel Silverstein
A Giraffe and a Half was the book my brother and I had our parents read to us repeatedly at bedtime for just about as long as I can remember. And every single night, no matter how many times we heard it, we would crack up. Then as I got older and was able to read myself classics like Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic were two of my favorite books. I freaking adore Shel Silverstein books to this day!




I can't believe they made a movie based off of this book! I haven't watched it yet but it's one of those I'll get to someday. Loved this book as a child.




Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
This is one of those classics from my childhood that I really would love to read now. It's been years. Years! But I think I'd still enjoy it now.




Matilda by Roald Dahl
Once again you can't go wrong with Roald Dahl. I don't remember a whole lot of this book and I never actually watched the movie based off of it but I remember loving it back in the day




Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary
Ahhh! I loved the Ramona Quimby books growing up! I can't remember if I had read all of them or not but I remember Beezus and Ramona being my favorite!




If you didn't already know...I'm old. I'm so old that when I was a teenager I remember this book being a huge deal...huge...like everyone would whisper about it because *gasp* Margaret gets her first period in the book! *Eye roll* Now something like that is absolutely nothing but back then it was just shocking! Holy crap I sound ancient just saying that but I'm not! I'm still in my 30's...for now haha.




Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
This was another one that was requested a lot at bedtime...well if our parents were generous and let us have two stories. Otherwise we went with Shel Silverstein.






Anything by Richard Scarry
OMG RICHARD SCARRY BOOKS!! I had probably every single one that was available at the time and I adored these books. Mostly they were picture books but they were so cute and adorable and wow I would love to get my hands on one of these now! Nostalgia big time!!


I loved this week's topic and this trip down memory lane. Quite a few of these I will be getting my hands on and giving them a reread. So what kinds of books did you love as a child or teenager that you'd like to revisit now? :)




2 comments:

  1. Such a great list! I read several of these when I was younger (and a few in more recent years). Omg, Richard Scarry!!! Loved his books. I've also been wanting to read some of V.C. Andrews books for a long time, but now you have me second guessing that. xD

    Jen @ EbonyInkReviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph @ Scarlet NerdedMarch 24, 2015 at 7:55 PM

    Richard Scarry! I loved those when I was a little kid. I'm pretty sure I still have The Best Word Book Ever at home. I am getting nostalgic looking at your list! Such a great one!

    ReplyDelete