Tuesday, April 23, 2013

REVIEW: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Title/Series: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Site
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Poppy
Published: January 1st 2013
Format: Paperback | Pages: 236
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Purchased B&N
★★★★★ (5/5) Stars!

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.
A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?
Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

I picked it up. Started  reading it. When I put it down again, it was finished. First sign of a really good book. By the time I was finished, my cheeks quite literally hurt. I was grinning through 95% of it. Second sign of a really good book. During the other 5% I was trying to fight back tears from all of the dysfunctions and problems going on within both Hadley and Oliver's families. I lost the fight by the way. *Sniffles* Third sign of a really good book. I'm sitting here in the middle of such a book high, still 24 hours later, finding it difficult to want to get into anything else. I'm still in a very Hadley and Oliver place. Last sign of a really good book.

It was easy for me to connect to Hadley. We had a pretty similar story of our parents splitting at roughly the same age. Though I may have been a year or so younger. For her, her dad goes off to work in England for four months and just..doesn't come back. For me, it was my mother and sadly it wasn't England. That would have been bloody fantastic. (See I woulda fit in when I was on holiday..Yep I'm just full of Briticisms.) So every little thing she went through and talked about in regards to her relationship with her father...I got it and was able to connect to this book on a deeper level than most books I've read.

Now, I  know I say this quite a lot...but...I am in love with Oliver. I mean it, I would leave all my other book boyfriends for this guy. He was 99% of the reason I was grinning throughout the majority of this book. He was just so charming and witty and funny and completely adorable. I did get a bit annoyed with him for a short time though because it seemed that he was always asking about her life but whenever she would ask him something, some of the stuff he would talk about but other than that he would most of the time give sarcastic jokey answers or would just shoot questions down completely and I sat there thinking how unfair! And then soon after they land and get separated, the bomb drops and everything starts to make sense and I lost it. I think I literally said "Oh no, no, no!" out loud. So, Oliver...I'm sorry for doubting your perfection. It was only for a moment!

But besides having two really great characters, behind them you have such a great love story. It's one of those stories you dream about having. Meet a gorgeous stranger at the airport. Ending up in the same row and most of the flight sharing stories and falling in love. [Insert girlish dreamy sigh here] Why couldn't my mother have run off to England? :(


  1. This book sounds totally sweet and romantic, just the way I like! I'm glad you could connect to Hadley and Oliver sounds like the cutest guy ever!!
    Great review. Thanks for sharing (:

    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    1. Yep Oliver was definitely a dream :D

      Thank you for stopping by Sapir! :)

  2. Aww think this will have to be bought!!! Sounds so cute! I can't wait to read This is what happy looks like either!

    1. I will say I was more pleased with this book than I was This is What Happy Looks Like. The ending was more to my liking. But they're both good quick reads.

      Thanks for stopping by Danielle :)!