Thursday, May 30, 2013

Swoon Thursday #10



Swoon Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by YABound!

Here's what you do:
From the book you’re currently reading, or one you just finished, tell us what made you SWOON. What got your heart pounding, your skin tingling, and your stomach fluttering.


This week I'm swooning over:



Black City (Black City #1) by Elizabeth Richards
Published May 7th 2013 by Speak
 

So I need to give a tiny bit of a background to fully appreciate this scene that I'm going to type out. And my swoon will more than likely be long because it's going to be a full scene...sort of. But I love it and I'm doing it because it's MY SWOON SO THERE! :P

Natalie is a human and Ash is a half-blood Darkling. Easiest way to explain that is to think of Darklings being similar to a vampire, I mean they're a bit more complicated than that but it'll do. Ash has a human dad and a Darkling mom but still in their world it is now illegal and punishable by death for Darklings and humans to be together period. In the scene that I'm about to share Ash and Nat and some classmates are at cadet training. Ash is being used as a guinea pig for them to see if they can sense and track him. I won't get into explaining and spoiling any of that even further. Just remember these thing.... Dark room playing sort of a hide and seek thing in the pitch black. Ash and Nat aren't allowed to feel things for each other at all.

*Siiiigh* forbidden love :)

***

He veers off to the right, clearly not sensing me at all. Natalie, on the other hand, heads straight for me. I'm too stunned to move at first, and she's almost upon me before I gather my wits and sidestep out of her way. She Immediately turns and comes for me again. Even in the the dark, I can tell she's smiling.

"There's no point in running, Ash. I can feel you," she whispers.

She almost gets me again. Bloody hell! She really can sense me!

Well, there's no way I'm letting her get the better of me. I'll never live it down. I pounce Natalie, knocking her off her feet and pinning her against the wall.

"Tag, you're dead," I whisper mockingly in her ear.

Somewhere in the dark, Sebastian and the cadets move about the room, closing in.

I release Natalie's arms and expect her to walk away, but instead her hand moves up to my face and she lightly races her fingers over my lips, brushing across my fangs, making them throb with venom. My breath catches in my throat at her forbidden touch. What's she doing? If they catch her doing this to me...

"You can run, but you can't hide," Gregory taunts somewhere to my right.

Shame squirms inside my gut, loathing how my body's responding to her. A million reasons run through my head why I should push her away, but I don't. Instead, I do the one thing I shouldn't: I reach out my hand and gently touch her face. She lets out a soft breathy moan as my fingertips explore the contours of her face. In a weird way, this is the first time I've truly "seen" her; my fingertips chart a map of her features, committing every tiny detail to memory. Desire and guilt wage a war inside me, and I'm torn between wanting her and my loyalty to my species. She's a Sentry. This is so wrong! And yet I'm unable to control myself. My fingers brush over her smooth skin, running past the dimple on her left cheek before finding the soft fullness of her lips.

"Ash," she sighs, tilting her head up.

Her lips touch mine. They barely make contact, but a force like a lightening bolt shoots through them and straight into my heart.

***


Ahhhhhh I'm in love with this book. I just have nothing to say to follow up to that. I have about 100 more pages to go so I'm gonna go get to that. I'm glad I remembered to stop and do this though for tomorr--err today since the part I'm at right now is breaking my heart. Good to remember a happier time! But before I go, let me know what made you swoon this week!


4 comments:

  1. Jessica MangicaroMay 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM

    Awww I love me some forbidden love! But I hate that it got heartwrenching for you!! I do have this one of my TBR! I hope I can get to it at some point!

    My Swoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this scene sold it to me! I really want to read this!! Plus, the cover is so pretty! I'm nervous that wherever you're reading now is breaking your heart. =\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! It's the new love of my reading life. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good series so far. And this book is now a piece of cake compared to the heartbreak through book 2 Sigh :[

    ReplyDelete