Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #11



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This weeks topic is....

Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects


Oh yeah, this one is more me. For some reason the books that tear my heart out and stomp on it a bit while dealing with the heaviness that I'm subjecting myself to are always favorites. Unlike last weeks where I struggled to find the "light and fun" side, the heaviness I should be able to shine through and have trouble narrowing it down! Let's see shall we?

(Click the covers to go to their Goodreads pages)


1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Oh oh oh the feels. Seriously if you have not read this book I don't know what on earth you are waiting for. I think this book will stick with me for life. I swear I just sat here for like 5 minutes staring at my screen because, what can I say that would even come close to doing this book justice? Nothing. I find it to be one of those "once in a lifetime" reads that everyone should try at least once to make it through. It has earned a permanent spot as #1 on my favorites shelf.



2. Hopeless by Colleen Hoover


If you thought there were intense feels with the first book on my list, this one could put it in direct competition for making me cry the most. Holy crap this book rocked my world in the emotions department. Tough, tough stuff to read about but Colleen Hoover did A-MA-ZING with this book. It felt so real. Every bit of anguish and despair. Simply breathtaking and so worth the read. And to have this amazing love story in the middle of all that. It's just one of the best books.



3. Easy by Tammara Webber


This book is all about taking control. Jacqueline starts out somewhat weak and small but after a pretty traumatic thing happens to her she slowly but surely goes about empowering herself to not become a victim ever again. Her growth is inspiring to see throughout the pages. It's always going to be a favorite of mine and turned me into a huge Tammara Webber fan.



4. What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor


While not like the first 3, it does have stuff in here that would be tough to deal with. I seriously heart this book very much. What Jake goes through...honestly I don't know how well I'd handle it myself. It really touched my heart.


5. Jenna's Cowboy (The Callahan's of Texas #1) by Sharon Gillenwater

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6883162-jenna-s-cowboy

So this one will be a bit different from what you normally see on my blog. It's a Christian Romance and probably one of the best books I've ever read. Period. It deals with the tough subject of PTSD. I had to read it with a box of tissues. The whole series was just awesome and uplifting, though only this first one was about PTSD the rest each had their own obstacle to cross though.



6. The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16113791-the-coincidence-of-callie-and-kayden

Oh this book was so good!! You have two equally messed up people dealing with two equally messed up things in their lives. I can't freaking wait for August. Such a cliffhanger with this one. (But I love me a good cliffhanger :D)



7. Freeing Carter by Nyrae Dawn

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15712838-freeing-carter

I simply adore Nyrae Dawn. With four of her books under my belt so far I cannot say one negative thing about any of what I've read. She is SO GOOD with character creation. She makes people who feel so real and easy to relate to and make you fall in love with them. This was no exception. Carter deals with such a tough situation at home and the way he goes on from day to day it's just amazing to read. LOVE THIS. READ ALL HER BOOKS (Okay I haven't got that far yet but trust me I will.)



8. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6482837-before-i-fall

I think this one deserves a spot on here. If someone ever asks me about this book I have to say it makes me think of Groundhog Day, that Bill Murray movie, but with a very sad twist. The things and realizations that Samantha goes through as she lives out the last day of her life over and over were heartbreaking at times. And you just wished for her to have peace to "move on" so to speak and have the endless cycle stop. And she doesn't handle the situation well all the time. There are times that she, as I would have, just sort of snaps. I mean you're gonna have to do it all over again tomorrow right? Ugh, I want to read this again now. It was really good.



9. The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17162859-the-secret-of-ella-and-micha

Jessica Sorensen is another one of my "go to" authors. If I want to read something that I have no fear of hating, she's one of the people I turn to. Ella and Micha. So many feels. I think this may have been the first book I read by her and I fell in love with those two. Ella is just...messed up. And Micha, ohhh Micha, *Sigh* yeah...



10. Wait For You by Jennifer L Armentrout writing as J. Lynn


I. Love. This. Book. I mean I thought I had it down. What Avery's whole big secret was about. And it was...but with a slight twist. I mean in a small way it was almost worse? Cam and Avery's love story was just awesome. I think this is one of the best books I've read by JLA yet.




I passed over a few things and probably could have gone on past 20 lol. I'm telling you this is my kind of topic!

So how about you guys? What's your go to tough stuff books?



11 comments:

  1. I loved Thirteen Reasons Why and I am currently reading What I Didn't Say and I am really enjoying it. I can hardly wait to write the review. Great list... I wrote down several of your suggestions to add to my To Read list and my Review list as well.. thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Before I Fall. I have Hopeless on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy is definitely one of my favs. Jacqueline is just awesome and I love that she was a strong heroine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more Wendy! She was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I too love Jessica Sorenson and will gladly read anything she has written. You've given me some titles to add to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog and I have to say that I love your Rapunzel Theme. That is my favorite Disney movie. Your list looks great.

    My TTT: http://rachaelc94.blogspot.com/2013/05/top-ten-hard-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also added Thirteen Reasons Why and Wait For You! I came really close to adding Easy, but I didn't. And if I had read Hopeless, Coincidence, and Secret of Ella... I would've added those too. (They're all sitting on my Nook!) Great list Sheri!


    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I love Hopeless and Easy. And I was really surprised at how much I liked The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden.

    My TTT list

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah she's really good. I'm glad I helped you find some new stuff to read!! :) Thanks Leti

    ReplyDelete
  10. You love Tangled as well? You're my new favorite visitor!!! (Shhh don't tell the others LOL) jk jk Thanks for stopping by!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't worry I'm working on trying to cram more reading hours in a day. When I have it figured out I'll share the secret lol!!

    ReplyDelete